Thursday, January 7, 2016

Supplemental Draft Reaction

    

     I know it has been a while since my last blog post, but I’m back and I’m reacting to the Cannons selections in the Supplemental draft, really wasn’t blown away by some of the picks they made because they were really looking to find guys who might be the next diamond in the rough, just like David Emala was for them last year who was selected in last years supplemental draft.
     The Cannons selected Michael Rooney Midfielder (Stony Brook), Andrew Sellers Defense (Salisbury), Michael Begley Midfielder (Marist), Beau Wood Attack (Tufts), Jack Runkel Goalie (Loyola), Greg Rogowski Attack (Merrimack College), Ryan Hollenbaugh Defense (UMass), Sean Lawton Midfielder (Western New England), Michael Maggio Midfielder (Lasell College), Eric Hagarty Goalie (Endicott College), T.A. Demoulas Midfielder (Bentley University), Tom Compitello Attack (Stony Brook),Spencer Schnell Attack (Ohio Wesleyan), and Harrison Cotter Midfielder (Endicott College).
     When you look at how the Cannons really went after this supplemental draft, it seems like they were really just trying to add some pieces to help give them to depth to their roster so not many of the picks I personally feel like really surprised me or really blew me away. I know one of the connections I am going to have to make is the two Endicott College players selected in the Supplemental Draft because that is where new Cannons coach Sean Quirk use to be the Head Coach at, but I don’t think there is really any conflict of interest Eric Hagarty has been apart of the Cannons for years so no surprise to see him selected in my mind, and Harrison Cotter who was the last player the Cannons selected in the Supplemental draft played for Coach Quirk last year and he knows the way coach Quirk likes to have his teams play lacrosse so would not surprise me if he might be the David Emala of this supplemental draft for the Cannons.
     But if you are really looking at picks that I loved that the Cannons made there were really only two picks that I think will really help the Cannons this year is the selection of Michael Rooney from Stony Brook and Jack Runkel from Loyola. First of Rooney will add depth to a Midfield unit that was supposed to be awful last year after getting rid of the Legend Paul Rabil, but in all honesty last year the Midfielder unit was not that bad, and with the selection of Rooney he adds to that depth. Rooney is an outstanding scorer and passer which he displayed in his time at Stony Brook becoming the schools all time leader in assists (121) and points (253). Rooney is a capable playmaker with the ball and I think he will be awesome this year as a second line Midfielder who when he gets the ball will really be able to produce points for the Cannons.
     The other pick I am a huge fan of is the Jack Runkel pick I know many people might think why do the Cannons need another goalie! But hear me out Runkel is a great goalie if you ever watched him in his time at Loyola you would know he is a mammoth of a man between the pipes being 6’4. Runkel is a big guy really takes up a good portion of the cage and does a great job of cutting down angles for shooters, I think with some work with a great goalie Coach in Sean Quirk Runkel will only improve and we might see Runkel slowly slip in start seeing more time and maybe give Jordan Burke a run for his money as the starting Goalie for the Boston Cannons.

No comments:

Post a Comment